Friday, December 31, 2010

Here are some shots of my work on fixing up the old seats. First I took off the old plaid fabric & the foam that covered the top & sides of each seat. Then I took off the burlap, and separated the old springs from the wood bases. (The bases are necessary because they support the seats when they are set up as a bed, spanning across the space between the bases and additionally supported by two wooden dowels. I used a wire brush on my drill and a lot of naval jelly and scrubbing pads to de-rust the springs. Next, I sprayed them with a coat of rust inhibitor/sealer and when that dried, I sprayed them with a thin coat of aerosol silicone so that they wouldn't squeak. The upholsterers reattached the springs to the wooden bases and did a great job of wrapping them in burlap again along with a couple of layers of felt-like stuff under and on top of the springs so that they wouldn’t be lumpy. No squeaks anymore!




Family of four lives happily in 18 square feet